Tuesday 26 August 2008

Trippin' in this Flat World...

Recently I had the privilege of observing how flat the world was in the European countries visiting six of them in a span of three months. So many of the things I saw and did every day were similar to the activities in Mumbai, India and particularly with young people. The girls all wore low cut jeans or mini-skirts and the boys wore trendy trousers to teeshirts. I can’t recall seeing any ethnic dressing (that was the objective of visiting these places). Another thing, which made the world seem flat, is that practically everyone spoke English. Yes even when I was in France :) Though my trip to Brussels was business focused, I was able to visit several historic sites in Rome, including Colosseum, the Pantheon, and the Vatican Museum, the fast paced life in Milan, learning the history and collecting the remains of the Berlin Wall, and not to forget the center of the earth Greenwich Meridian Time and the Queens Palace in London. Years ago, while in school, I had just read about all these and many more in school and used to enjoy the scenic beauties only in movies.I feel that this Flat World experience has changed everything. I visited most of these places that I could have never dreamt of visiting 10 years ago. Wikipedia and Google, basically enlightened me about every place I went, and all the things I saw. What a marvelous invention for travelers! I know I’ll never have the time to really learn in-depth and discover these things, but a little exposure to them is extremely interesting none-the-less. Kudos technology and Web 2.0 ;)

No comments: