Saturday 29 November 2008

I failed, I learnt. (PoV)

My most memorable and enduring learning experiences have stemmed from suffering the consequences of my own mistakes, and those lessons have shaped me into the person I am today.


In any project, process adherence will take a beating if you do not have adequate duration available. I experienced a similar situation during the middle of my first project in 2004, where I went through a significant failure that stretched the process of analysis and unnecessarily delayed the schedule of the code delivery. In laying down the conceptual framework towards defining the coding and analytical process, I was at times tempted to teach my team shortcuts to reach the deadlines.


I have learnt that we are all susceptible to failures; success is a result of persistence and discipline. Years later, the self confidence I gained through these results helped me to overcome a very different type of challenge, and thus any problematic behavioral aspect has gradually given way to the acceptable working style. I learnt to lead the hard way.


I am passionate about things that count, and let go of things that doesn't. It just makes it easier for me. This way I accept the good and eliminate the bad. I have had many a role models who have simply shown me the way to react to each failing and succeeding situations. Be it hot shots like Mr Narayana Murthy (Infosys), Sachin Tendulkar (God of Cricket), Michael Jordan (NBA), Armstrong(Cycling) or be it my family, friends, mentors, colleagues.


We all do fail at some point in our lives - at work, in sports, in things we love passionately, but true success stems in embracing failure with a pinch of salt and learning from it. Ask yourselves, do you feel that you have it in you to stand tall to the obstacles in life? If no, then take help from family and friends. If yes, then best luck for everything ahead! Remember, it is your passion to achieve something and your positive attitude that will shape your character.

No comments: