Tuesday 18 November 2008

Mera Desh Mahan !!

Dear readers, as I already mentioned I happened to enroll to a MBA program with one of Europe’s prestigious school which is known for Diversity, Networking and various fields of specialization. More recently I had sessions on Culture involving India during my Launch program. I had the ambassadors of India in Spain as the guest faculty giving speech to the class over the Indian culture. Being in a business school, probably my expectations were more towards having a session on doing business in India, but I was wrong, the session was more to do with what India had to offer in terms of Culture and Heritage. I must appreciate the guest speakers to have summed up Indian culture in an hour and half, because personally speaking, it’s not easy to describe any culture for that matter in a gist. The topic varied from mythological epics like Ramayana and Mahabharata (two of the oldest, longest and most read Epic in India) to dance and modern art. For me it was a re-cap of what was learnt during my primary schooling. It just reminded me of those exciting days of History class where I graze through books and through encylopedia (I was a big fan). Also during my stay in Brussels, many of my colleagues as well my client managers used to ask me regularly about India. It was really amusing to hear stories from colleagues and friends who visited India and how they perceive the culture, people and country. For those who have not visited India, let me tell you, it would be best to read stories and articles over the place and the state you intend to visit. Because each part of India has completely different culture, transportation system, work culture, food options etc. For me, it’s a pleasure as an Indian, to introduce my home country to newcomers! And I must say that in the event, India is certainly one of the richest countries, in terms of how diverse the regions are and what contrasts it offers. A walk through the “Golden Temple” in Amritsar, to the “Taj Mahal” in Agra; the “Red Fort” in Delhi to the beautiful “Beaches” in Goa; history has peppered India with magnificent ruins.



Incredible India


All the states are well-served by public transport and enjoy a rich, diversified commercial activity, not to mention the numerous eateries ranging from “Vada Pav” in Maharashtra to “Dosa” in Tamil Nadu, which welcome gourmets and gluttons alike. The quality of housing and the diversity of various neighborhoods are another asset to the country. The presence of plentiful sports infrastructures and multi-cultural facilities contributes to the quality of life of everyone who finds that this environment offers all the services they need for their own personal fulfillment. India is a country with many faces, from rags to riches and one which is filled with even more treasures, with great unifying events such as the cultural festivals, the trendy restaurants or the remarkable monuments. Poverty has always been the downside, but its upto the people and society to eradicate them. I was able to play my part via Infosys foundation activities, perhaps which was just a water drop in the ocean, and might not be enough. But each one of us contributing, it will definitely be a great step towards mankind.

I have always been a globe trotter and bag packer. I like travelling places, understand different culture, meet new people. I have travelled to a little more than 20 cities within India. One of the most exciting places that I enjoyed was with my parents and relatives visiting the enchanting Backwaters in God’s own country – Kerala in the 90’s. Land and water share an extraordinary kinship here in the “Venice of the East”, throbbing with its own unique culture. The site continues to bask in the tender life giving care of the waters that lap gently on its coast, cascade down its hills and valleys and rests calmly in exotic backwaters and lagoons. Think about the gorgeous greens, the canopies of coconuts and the soothing sound of water rippling alongside the houseboat–all these elements help to forge the identity of a place which is open to the world and, in my view, perfectly encapsulate the delights of the life in this part of the world.

I need not mention in detail on doing business in India, as already the rest of the blogs might cover the contents and the various business models I came across with the firms I was associated with. So, come to India and experience an unforgettable journey, along the tranquil backwaters of Kerala, to the ruins of Ajanta and Ellora in Mumbai, to Fatehpur Sikhri and to view one of the Seven Wonders of the World – The Taj Mahal.

Backwaters Picture Courtesy: rarepicsaroundtheworld.blogspot.com

No comments: